Thursday, April 12, 2012

June 2011 Road Trip Back to Royea's Junk Yard

Sorry for the year delay but I had a lot on my mind.

  Back in June of 2011 "sometimes shop helper" Jordan and I went back to Holderness, NH and Royea's Junk Yard that I had last visited back in Nov. 2007.  Back then I had seen these two '71+ Javelins that were stacked on top one another.  Reading Hemmings I got this great idea about a front brake upgrade for AMC's. A vital part you need for the upgrade is a '71 or newer spindle from a Javelin that came with disc brakes. The upgrade allows vented rotors and single piston Kelsey Hayes calipers to be used in earlier cars that came with either drums or solid rotors and the infamous four piston Bendix calipers.

  So off Jordan, Augie and I went to fetch us some spindles.  Luckily, the parts we needed were in the Javelin that was on top so it was pretty much a stand up job.  With the help of an old VW bus motor hatch, a bumper jack and an old rim (all found    
                                                    on site) we were able to get the Javelin's nose                                                             raised to facilitate the removal.

  We only had to borrow a few tools from the "junk yard boys" to get the job done.  With the spindles in hand we went to cash out.  I did made the mistake of dragging the perfectly useless rotors and calipers with us and "the boys" must have thought they were made of gold when they gave me the grand total.  YIKES, I didn't have the energy to argue because I felt like crap due to a cold.  I found out later I had a 102° F temperature.  I should've let Jordan drive home.

This shot is of Jordan contemplating how we are gonna straighten the tweaked front bumper.  As of now we still haven't straightened it, but we did have all of the chrome blasted off both bumpers.  This will allow us to pretty these up with filler and some New Blue paint.

Lots more updates to come!

No comments: